Patio

Patio

For the back of the house, we decided to install a patio. We needed to do something…. the old ramp that led up to the barn doors was treacherous at best (for reference: here’s a photo from before the barn was painted). And though a deck would be great, we didn’t want its height and railings to detract from the visual of the back of the house (the rear elevation is my favorite). So we went with stamped concrete, and we’re so excited about the results.

Gate Leg

….and we liked the nightstand gray so much, that we put it on the legs of a hand-me-down gate leg table.

(We’ve been using the gate leg as a dining room table until ours is finished…. my brother, Tommy, is hand-crafting a farmhouse table, custom made for our large dining space, with cherry wood harvested from our family’s homestead in Northeast Pennsylvania. So cool.)

Nightstands

Here’s a look at a small furniture project.

Before we got the barn, we never really had a master bedroom – certainly not one large enough to have a nightstand on each side of the bed! So we found these guys on Craigslist for $15 each, roughed them up with some sandpaper, and painted them a true gray.

(True confession: the knobs cost more than the tables, as they cost $8 each.)

But at the end, it was a pretty thrifty project, and we’re quite happy with the results.

Details

Details

Some detail shots of the place, taken by my very talented cousin, Emma.

Interior update.

Interior update.

Here’s what has been going on inside the barn since we’ve moved in.

Long overdue.

Long overdue.

Here are some long overdue photos of progress that’s been made on the interior.

Kitchen Floors

So last Saturday (3/24), we had a very productive day at the barn, largely due to the help of Billy’s buddy Mike, and my brother Tommy. Lots got done including a bit of paint, light installation, and so on; but the main project of the day were the floors.

Aside from the bathrooms, bedrooms and laundry room, all of the floors on the main level of the barn are either original or re-purposed barn wood (so that means kitchen, great room, front hall, office, game room, and hallway). So we rented a belt sander, had my father’s disc sander on loan, and went to work. Most of the floors have now been sanded; just one section of the great room is left to be done. I’m lame, and forgot to take photos of the sanded floors when we finished.

Then on Sunday Billy and I put a coat of a satin polyurethane on the kitchen floor. After work on Monday, Bill went back and applied coat number 2. And the photos above show that process (while the poly was still wet).

The wide (11″) boards that run from the front door to the barn doors will get wood fill in the gaps (Billy actually started that process tonight), before they get sealed. Hopefully I won’t forget to take some “before polyurethane” photos of the other floors.